The overall goal of this study, conducted on behalf of the Canada Council for the Arts was to document the role and place of Artist-Run Centres (ARCs) in the larger ecology of the Visual Arts today.1 Within this overall context, the study sought to:
- Identify the distinct role of ARCs in the visual arts ecosystem;
- Summarize the distinct role within the context of: place of artists, artistic practices and public engagement;
- Incorporate the interpretation of ARCs as understood by the centres them- selves;
- Categorize Artist-Run Centre activity into 6-8 categories and identify outliers and any gaps or other issues;
- Examine the situation of multiple ARCs in one city;
- Review and present the data on ARC funding levels from Provincial, Municipal and other Federal funders.