Everyone Benefits from The Arts
The Arts make a difference in all our lives:
- improve quality of life
- create stronger communities
- help people feel a sense of belonging and involvement
- create a forum for intercultural understanding and friendship (1)
Canadians support the arts. In a 2015 study for Business for the Arts:
Over 80% said the following are good reasons for supporting the arts:
- The arts enhance creativity and innovation
- Arts education can assist children at risk in channeling their energies in a more productive direction
- Arts education assists in the emotional and intellectual development of children
- The arts help people understand other cultures
- The arts can contribute to personal well being (2)
Over 70% agreed that good reasons for supporting the arts also included:
- Communities with an active arts scene tend to be vibrant places to live and work
- Arts activities help reduce youth alienation and crime
- The arts can deepen emotional experience
- Participation in the arts can lead to enhanced self awareness
- The arts promote understanding and tolerance
- The arts contribute to deepening personal awareness
- The arts have the potential to contribute to the economic wellbeing of the community (3)
Arts Access: Good for People and Communities
Canadians believe that the performing arts benefit their communities, whether or not they attend (according to a 2012 EKOS/CAPACOA survey). In fact, the less likely Canadians are to attend, the more they believe that the performing arts benefit their communities rather than only individuals attending.(4)
(1) Canada Council, Impact of the Arts on Canadian Life.
(2) Environics Research Group, Arts and Heritage Access and Availability Survey 2016-2017, Department of Canadian Heritage and Canada Council for the Arts, POR number: 051-16. 2017.
(3) Strategic Counsel, Building the Case for Business Support of the Arts: A Study Commissioned by Business for the Arts, Feb. 2015.
(4) Value of Presenting – Survey of the General Public, 2012 (EKOS Research Associates/CAPACOA).